The Parking Authority is committed to minimizing its negative impact on the local and regional environment and to striving toward environmental sustainability beyond standard regulatory compliance. Recommended actions to address these principles are:
- Identify concerns and problems regarding indoor and outdoor air pollution and
implement effective programs and practices, where applicable, for addressing these issues;
- Use environmental and health conscious materials in building construction and
renovation that protect and improve indoor air quality;
- Minimize greenhouse gas emissions in activities, operations, and services
- Minimize the emission of precursors to ozone through operational improvements.
- Implement daylight harvesting controls that reduces energy consumption in garage
- Maximize natural light in building interiors, where applicable, and reduce the need for artificial illumination and the excessive use of energy resources during daylight
- Implement energy efficient LED lighting technology throughout the parking areas which consume less energy but illuminates brighter light creating a safe parking environment.
WATER QUALITY and CONSERVATION
- Develop projects, programs and initiatives to reduce water consumption, reuse water when possible, reduce wastewater production and improve wastewater quality;
- identify and reduce the volume, and improve the quality of storm water runoff created on surface parking lots;
- Implement lavatory utilities upgrades which incorporate energy efficient, cost savings features that reduce water consumption
ENERGY EFFICIENT MEASURES· UTILITIES
- Review sustainable utility components and when they are due for repairs;
- Optimize a strategy according to when components will be maintained over their
lifetimes and be as proactive as possible;
- Promote the use of renewable forms of energy;
- Develop and implement energy retrofit programs for previously completed structures;
- Capital planning and energy auditing procedures should be integrated.
SOLID and HAZARDOUS WASTE
- Maintain and assess a hazardous waste management and disposal tracking system;
- Promote the purchase of non-hazardous materials whenever possible.